About Us

     Piney Grove Baptist Church was first constituted March 13, 1844.  It was received into the Union (now Eastern) Association in October of 1844.

     The church was first organized as a Freewill Baptist Church and was called Brush Yard.  In 1844 it was reorganized as a Missionary Baptist Church and named Piney Grove.  Changing denominations caused much confusion and many members left, leaving 19 members (6 men and 13 women).

     In 1868 records show it had a membership of 174 white members and 37 slaves, making Piney Grove one the largest rural memberships in Sampson County.  It covered the territory from Great Coharie to near Faison.

     There was an old wooden building that was torn down in 1947 after a new brick sanctuary was finished.

     A parsonage was built across from the church in 1947.  In September of 1975, the church purchased another home for the pastor and sold the older one.  A cemetery was started in July of 1904.  Perpetual care began in April of 1973

     The first floor of an educational building was finished in 1961.

     A steeple was added to the sanctuary in 1981.

     The organ was purchased in 1952 and a baby grand piano was donated in 1985.

     Renovation of the sanctuary was completed in April 1992 and the first church service was held in the new sanctuary on Easter Sunday.

     The upstairs of the Fellowship Hall was completed in April 1996.

 

                                             Pastors through the Years

Service Unknown – Jesse Howell                              1923-1923 – W.R. Stephens

Service Unknown – G.W. Wallace                              1924-1938 – T.H. King

Service Unknown – Hugh McAlpin                            1938-1940 – E.C. Chamblee

1868-1884 – J.L. Stewart                                             1940-1945 – E.A. Walker

1885-1887 – J.L. Britt                                                    1946-1947 – Emory Young

1888-1890 – F.R. Underwood                                     1948-1950 – E.N. Teague

1891-1894 – J.T. Albritton                                            1951-1953 – J.R. Bene

1895-1896 – A.J. Taylor                                               1953-1962 – L.H. Knott

1896-1899 – R.C. Sandlina                                        1962-1965 – Arnold Keaton

1900-1901 – J.J. Adams                                              1966-1968 – H.O. Lanning

1902-1906 – J.L. Stewart                                             1968-1981 – Charles Hulin, III

1906-1907 – G.A. Bain                                                  1981-1981 – Homer Baumgardner

1908-1911 – J.L. Stewart                                              1981-1994 – Farrell Miller

1912-1912 – L.L. Hudson

1913-1916 – B.F. DeLoach

1916-1918 – F.T. Collins

1918-1918 – Fred Williams

1919-1920 – J.F. Colston

1920-1921 – A.L. Turner

1922-1923 – E.T. Carter